As an expat, how do I pay tax in the US, and what are the differences between Danish and American tax?
- expat, tax, tax returns, taxes, US tax
How do I pay tax in the US?
Here are some basics:
- Tax withholding system as in Denmark (no preliminary tax return)
- Social security number is crucial (not to be compared with a CPR-no.)
- State tax and federal tax = two tax returns (if state tax…)
- No eTax system (“TastSelv” system) in the US – huge forms
- Filing date is earlier than in Denmark (15 April for individuals – DK is 1 July – both countries’ tax year is the calendar year).